Meet Jan Kessinger
Jan is a fifth-generation Kansan and has lived in Overland Park for 35 years. Jan has been immersed in public service since he was a child, with both his father and grandfather serving in the Kansas House of Representatives. During college, Jan interned in Washington, DC, for Senator and Republican National Chairman Bob Dole.
After earning his Bachelor of Science in Journalism from the William Allen White School of Journalism at the University of Kansas, Jan worked in retail management for a few years before joining Vance Publishing, an Overland Park publishing firm, in 1976. Jan served as the Sales Director and Associate Publisher of The Packer, the leading business publication for the fresh fruit and vegetable industry. For seven years, Jan was the Western Division Manager and lived in the Los Angeles area with his family. While in California, he conducted graduate studies in business at the Graziadio School of Business and Management, Pepperdine University and completed his MBA at the Helzberg School of Management, Rockhurst University in 1988.
Jan and his family moved to Overland Park in 1984 where he became founding publisher of ProNet, Vance Publishing’s leading edge online service for the fresh produce industry. The venture created new jobs for the Overland Park community.
In 1994, Henderson Kessinger Consulting was established as a management, sales and marketing firm focusing primarily on developing managers who value each employee and salesperson who grow professionally by understanding their customers and how their products or service truly add value to the customers. Jan’s work includes helping 35 state and provincial lotteries generate increased revenues for their jurisdictions by improving retail execution and creative strategies. He has spoken at conferences and workshops across the United States and Canada as well as in Central Europe and Central America. As president of Henderson Kessinger Consulting, Inc., (HKC, Inc.) Jan works with companies both large and small across the United States and internationally to positively impact their work environment and sales.
In 2015, Jan was appointed to the Kansas Gaming and Racing Commission. In 2013/14, Jan consulted the Kansas Lottery and was tasked with restructuring and reorganizing the sales team. In 2014, record sales were set, in part due to Jan’s expertise.
Jan also works with local businesses as well as Fortune 500 firms with the universal goal of growing and developing strong work environments and employees, while simultaneously generating sales growth and profits, and in turn, creating more jobs for the community.
For over 20 years, Jan has been a member of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection where he volunteers as a Congregational Care Minister. Jan also serves on the Staff Parish, is a small group leader and has taught adult education at the church. He’s active in developing the Global Impact missions program and training at Church of the Resurrection. In 2014, Jan traveled to South Africa for three weeks to serve on a mission trip to Mooiplaas, a settlement outside of Pretoria.
Building State Revenues & Helping Small Businesses
Jan’s work with 35 state lotteries has helped states generate additional revenue while developing managers and sales people.
- Jan Kessinger helped the California Lottery reverse years of stagnant sales. In FY 2014 the California Lottery just set a sales record with nearly 15 percent growth thanks in part to consulting and training from Jan.
- The Michigan Lottery contracted with HKC and Jan for 13 years, including a time when the state bore the brunt of recession and unemployment. Yet, the Lottery recorded steady increases, year after year in revenue and transfer to the state. Terry Bunting, Deputy Commissioner of sales, attributed much of the sales growth to the development of the sales team to work ideas such as establishment of standards of excellence and training from Jan.
- The Minnesota Lottery set a sales record in FY 2012 despite a government shutdown that meant there were only 49 weeks of sales rather than 52. The expectation among management was that sales would be flat at very best. “If you had asked me or any of us (Lottery workers) in September or October were we going to set a record in sales this year we would have said, ‘absolutely no way’,” said Don Feeney, research director. In September, Jan Kessinger was brought in in September to help with sales. The result was a sales record ($15.6 million over FY 2011) even with three fewer weeks of sales.
- Jan Kessinger consulted with the Kansas Lottery in 2013 and 2014. One of the big projects was to completely restructure and re-organize the sales team. Records sales were set in 2014.
- When Ace Hardware faced the entrance of big box competition to the Atlanta market, Jan Kessinger was brought in to work with individual Ace Hardware store owners in the market. Locally-owned Ace Hardware stores withstood the big box competition with minimal losses of business while other locally owned stores went out of business.
- In addition to his work with 35 state lottery organizations, Jan works with local businesses as well as Fortune 500 firms. His goal is to grow and develop people while generating growth and profits that lead to new job development.
- Member Kansas Gaming and Racing Commission
Community Affiliations and Activities:
- Congregational Care Minister Volunteer – United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, Leawood
- South African mission trip participant to assist teachers in Mooiplaas settlement
- Member Staff Parish Committee, United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, Leawood
- Volunteer reader Blue Valley elementary schools
- Frequent blood donor Community Blood Center
- Bless the School participant to repair and renovate inner city schools
- Participant Give SevenDays – Make a ripple to change the world.
- CPR trained/certified
- 1994 – present: Founder and President, Henderson Kessinger Consulting, Inc. (HKC, Inc.)
- 1976 – 1994 Associate Publisher & Sales Director Vance Publishing Corporation business to business publications; founding publisher ProNet online service 1984.
- MBA Helzberg School of Management, Rockhurst University 1988
- Graduate studies in Business, Graziadio School of Business and Management, Pepperdine University 1982- 84
- BS Journalism William Allen White School of Journalism, University of Kansas 1973
2018 Legislative Session
(Meets Daily at 3:30 pm in Room 142-S )
(Meets Daily at 1:30 pm in Room 112-N)
(Meets Daily at 9:00 am in Room 112-N)
2017-2018 Legislative Session